Will eating healthier make it easier to achieve superior skin health? If you’ve had a nutritional consultation at Forum Health Knoxville, then you already know the answer. Yes! The food you put into your body has a direct effect on how you feel and look.
Being diligent about applying SPF and regularly visiting your skin care specialist for rejuvenation treatments are two great ways to keep your appearance in tip-top shape, but consuming the right foods is also important to the health of your skin. After all, you are what you eat!
The following fruits are packed with antioxidants, vitamins, and nutrients that can help you live longer, look better, and even prevent disease. Here are our picks to keep your skin looking beautiful, healthy, and hydrated this summer!
- Cantaloupe. Consider cantaloupe your secret weapon for smooth, younger-looking skin. You can thank the Vitamin A and its derivatives for boosting cell reproduction. Cantaloupe also increases antioxidants in your body which increases your ability to absorb free radicals and decreases your risk of skin problems.
- Oranges. Like Cantaloupes, oranges are chock-full of antioxidants. Oranges and other citrus fruits are said to be among the best foods for your skin’s health because they are rich in Vitamin C. Vitamin C can help protect your skin against sun damage which reduces your risk of skin cancer.
- Peaches. Not only are peaches great for reviving your skin, but they have benefits that include aiding weight loss, preventing heart disease and high blood pressure, and they contain an abundance of antioxidants.
- Blueberries. Ranked number one in antioxidant activity by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, blueberries can protect your skin from premature signs of aging.
- Apples. An apple a day may keep more than just the doctor away. Apples are rich in pectin – the starch essential in driving away acne! And don’t throw the skin in the trash! Apple skin contains phenols which provide important UV-B protection.
Fighting acne? Food choices are a huge factor contributing to this dreaded skin problem. Like the rest of your body, what you eat directly and indirectly affects your acne. This is one factor that we can easily control by being mindful of what goes into our bodies. So, here are five things to remember:
- Take your vitamins. Whole food multi-vitamins taken daily are a good choice to fight acne. Acidophilus B and garlic are also great acne fighters.
- An apple a day. Eat red or golden delicious apples daily.
- Drink water, water, water.
- Clear is better. You shouldn’t drink sodas for a whole slew of other reasons; but if you must drink a soda, remember that clear is better. The ingredients that make sodas dark can make acne worse.
- Go natural with your sweets. Too much refined sugar can aggravate acne. This means stay away from candy, sodas, cakes and pies! Try to use natural sweeteners, like honey or stevia!
Want more information? get in touch with us.