With the convenience of today’s technology, there is no excuse for poor eating habits. From recipes and food journals to menu planners, you can find just about anything you need online. There are hundreds of apps that can be downloaded to your phone or iPad to help with any dietary needs or health plan. Some of my favorites include:
- True Food Shopper’s Guide and Non-GMO Shopping Guide: these allow you to search out food that are Genetically Modified Organism free
- The Farmer’s Market Finder: find your nearest farmer’s market
- Fooducate: this rates foods based on the Nutrition Facts panel as well as ingredients
- Go Meals HD: provides a guide for searching out healthier options at restaurants
I know you are looking forward to the good food and family that will surround us as we count our blessings this Thanksgiving. You are sure to have leftovers from Thanksgiving dinner so here is a healthy recipe for the leftover turkey.
Crispy Turkey Tostadas Recipe
- 1 14-ounce can petite diced tomatoes, with jalapeños optional
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cups shredded cooked turkey, or chicken (12 ounces; see Tip)
- 8 corn tortillas
- Canola or olive oil cooking spray
- 1 avocado, pitted
- 1/4 cup prepared salsa
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup shredded romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1. Position racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven; preheat to 375°F.
2. Bring tomatoes and their juice to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft and most of the liquid has evaporated, 15 to 20 minutes. Add turkey (or chicken) and cook until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, coat tortillas on both sides with cooking spray. Divide the tortillas between 2 large baking sheets. Bake, turning once, until crisped and lightly brown, about 10 minutes.
4. Mash avocado in a bowl. Stir in salsa, sour cream and cilantro until combined.
5. To assemble tostadas, spread each crisped tortilla with some of the avocado mixture. Top with the turkey (or chicken) mixture, lettuce and cheese.
New to Forum Health Knoxville? Schedule a 15 minute health advisor call today!