Summer is in full swing and with the hot weather comes delicious fruits and vegetables! We have an abundance of fresh, local harvest here in Tennessee. You can get these foods directly from local farms or from the farmer’s market. When preparing your fruits and vegetables, you can be creative while keeping it simple. Here are my top 10 ideas on how to enjoy the wonderful flavors of summer:
- Blueberries: best when eaten fresh or on top of salads and oatmeal
- Zucchini: cut in strips, season, cover lightly with oil and bake for fries
- Tomato: what can you not do with tomato?
- Eggplant: slice lengthwise in ½ inch strips, season and grill. Top with sautéed tomato
- Green beans: sauté in oil, water, onion and seasonings
- Cucumber: slice and place in a pitcher of water…very refreshing!
- Bell peppers: stuff with beef, rice and tomato
- Peaches: peach salsa with tomato, onion, bell pepper, jalapeno, cilantro and lemon juice
- Squash: slice, steam, season and mash
- Okra: sauté with tomato
Visit a farmers market for fresh, local produce!
Want more information? Get in touch with us.